"Silver" mercury amalgam fillings are a common root cause of illness

Habits to Healthy Blog Post 27

After “reviewing scientific literature for over 20 years,” the FDA announced last month that “certain groups may be at a greater risk for potential harmful health effects of mercury.”

High-risk individuals:
– pregnant women, developing fetuses
– women planning to become pregnant
– nursing women
– newborns, children
– people with impaired kidney function
– people with neurological disease such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease

Uncertainties still remain about:
– the effects that long-term exposure to dental amalgam may have on high-risk groups
– the potential for mercury in dental amalgam to convert to other mercury compounds in the body
– whether accumulation of mercury in some body fluids and tissues results in other unintended health outcomes

Mercury is a heavy metal that is toxic to the body. Dental amalgam is a mixture of mercury (about 50%), silver, tin, and copper. Mercury vapor is CONTINUOUSLY released from the filling surface by chewing, consuming hot liquids, tooth brushing, and bruxism (grinding the teeth).

An estimated 80% of mercury vapor is absorbed into our body – inhaled or dissolved in saliva and swallowed. It accumulates in all body organs and tissues, but primarily in the kidneys, brain, lung, liver, and GI tract.

Our body does its best to detoxify mercury out, but the half-life varies depending on the organ. One study estimates the half-life of mercury in the brain exceeds several years (PMID: 22235210).

– headaches
– fatigue, muscle weakness
– insomnia
– anxiety, depression
– shyness, nervousness
– memory loss, brain fog
– loss of appetite, weight loss
– respiratory problems
– thyroid dysfunction
– gut dysfunction
– kidney dysfunction
– nerve pain, numbness, tingling, twitching

– autoimmunity
– Alzheimer’s
– Parkinson’s
– multiple sclerosis
– thyroiditis
– infertility
– autism
– suicidal ideations
– cardiovascular problems

Not everyone with amalgam fillings will experience symptoms and toxic effects of mercury varies from person to person. WHY? Genetics play a role. Studies show certain genetic polymorphisms increase the risk of mercury accumulation (CPOX4, APOE4, MTHFR, etc).

I have friends with amalgam fillings with zero symptoms and then there’s me — I’ve had mine for over 20+ years and all sorts of things were going wrong. The process took a few weeks but I’m finally #amalgamfree


It’s important to find a biological/holistic/functional dentist that is IAOMT SMARTcertified.

Mercury is known to be released in excess during removal. Many dentists will remove amalgam fillings but without precautions in place, acute toxicity may occur. Symptoms include skin rashes, headache, cough or respiratory distress, chest pain, excessive salivation, severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology is a non-profit organization of dentists, health professionals, and scientists that focus on protecting public health and the environment. They developed Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART), which minimizes the potential danger of mercury exposure to patients and dental professionals during the removal process.

SMART protocol:
– high volume air filtration system
– protective gear for patient and staff
– external oxygen delivered via nasal mask/cannula for patient
– dental dam placed and properly sealed in patient’s mouth
– aerosol vacuum in close proximity to patient’s mouth
– conventional high speed evacuation device to capture mercury discharges
– use of charcoal, chlorella, or similar adsorbent for patient to rinse before and after procedure

This is not medical advice. This is general info.
If you’re interested in removing amalgam (silver) fillings, IAOMT’s site is a great place to start (https://iaomt.org). There’s helpful resources and a search tool to locate an IAOMT dentist near you.

Dental insurance may not cover amalgam removals so expect to pay a portion out-of-pocket. Some IAOMT dentists don’t accept insurance so call around to ask questions about their removal protocol and costs associated with the procedure.

I’m an advocate of #testdontguess and my Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis confirmed my guess… high levels of mercury. I found a great holistic dentist who answered my list of questions. He followed the SMART protocol and the procedure took about 2 hours (per visit).

Find a provider who welcomes questions. It’s important to establish a relationship and select a provider that you trust. Don’t forget that your provider works for you. And if they aren’t serving you, fire them and find another provider. You deserve the best care and there’s a provider out there who’ll make time for your questions. #findyourtribe

get my newsletter

Stay up to date on all things health related.
No spam ever, I promise!