Endocrine disruptors cause hormone imbalance
The endocrine system is a group of glands that produce and secrete hormones into the bloodstream. It’s a way to communicate between organ systems to control bodily functions such as metabolism, reproduction, and growth.
Hormones act as messengers, bind to receptors, and cause cellular changes. They tell cells, tissues, and organ systems to do something specific. Major players in this communication system:
– hypothalamus: coordinating center in the brain
– pituitary: master controller of growth
– pineal: melatonin & sleep regulation
– parathyroid: calcium regulation
– thyroid: master controller of metabolism
– pancreas: insulin & blood sugar regulation
– ovaries: estrogen & progesterone
– testes: testosterone
– adrenals: cortisol, adrenaline & corticosteroids
ENDOCRINE DISRUPTORS are chemicals that can mimic the effects of hormones and can influence any or all things listed above. They can bind to hormone receptors and create:
– a powerful response, greater than the original hormone
– a minor response, lesser than the original hormone
– an entirely different response than the original hormone
These unpredictable changes affect hormone synthesis, transport, binding, and breakdown. They are stable man-made molecules that can accumulate in various tissues and there hasn’t been studies on the cumulative effects in the human body.
EWG reported that the average woman uses 12 personal care products a day, exposing themselves to around 168 chemical ingredients. For men, it was 6 products and 85 chemicals a day. This doesn’t include all other harmful exposures we encounter on the daily.
Endocrine disruptors commonly found in:
– personal care products
– plastic & packages
– tap water
Endocrine disruptors to avoid:
– phthalates (fragrance)
– flame retardants
– heavy metals
H E A L T H Y H A B I T S
Hormone imbalance is common due to our daily exposures to endocrine disruptors. Before we can add supplements, do detoxes, or follow protocols, we must REDUCE our exposure. Vote with your dollar and support clean & transparent companies.